The history of smoking goes back thousands of years. It also exists in Hungary, where tobacco is very popular. Most of the population is addicted to nicotine, although everyone knows that this habit is harmful to the body. Smoking still exists, but many are trying to eradicate the habit of killing. Only a small percentage are successful. Information about what happens to the body when you quit smoking provides additional motivation and makes it easier to reach your goal.
The health effects of smoking
If you keep inhaling tobacco smoke, the following happens to your body:
- heart rate increases;
- increase blood pressure;
- gastric mucosa irritated;
- the brain experiences oxygen starvation;
- immunity is reduced;
- shortness of breath develops, chronic cough appears;
- Teeth turn yellow.
This is just a small list, but in fact, smoking affects almost every organ and system in the human body. The result is a huge risk of getting lung cancer, heart attack or stroke. And it does not count for the more common diseases: tracheitis, bronchitis, hypertension, gastritis and others.It must be understood that the human psyche also suffers from tobacco. Cigarette addiction, which develops to a greater or lesser extent in all smokers, is a specific form of drug addiction.
Harm of tobacco combustion products
To understand what happens to your body when you quit smoking, you need to know what tobacco smoke is. When a cigarette is lit, about 4, 000 different chemicals are released. These include:
- acetone; carbon monoxide; hydrogen cyanide; lead;
There is a very toxic substance that belongs to the first hazard class - benzopyrrole. And carcinogens have a detrimental effect on the body. They provoke the appearance of tumors. There is a small amount of nicotine in the structure of tobacco, but it is one of the most dangerous enemies. Due to this substance, unhealthy smoking addiction develops.
What about the person?
Recognizing that smoking is harmful, people try to get rid of this weakness. However, it must be assumed in advance that both positive and negative pages will appear. When you quit smoking, the following positive changes occur:
- will breathe easier;
- new powers appear;
- food will have a bright taste;
- sharpens your sense of smell;
- gives your face a healthy complexion.
But when you quit smoking, there are negative manifestations:
- lowers blood pressure;
- weakness and apathy dominate;
- emotional instability (all annoying, impossible to sleep, depression);
- weight gain;
- dizziness, headache.
Of course, not all people have certain symptoms. The body is so unique that it is impossible to predict its reaction. But usually everyone goes through about the same processes.
If a woman stops smoking, the consequences are no different, except perhaps in a more unstable psycho-emotional state, as feminines are inherently warmer than men. How to quit smoking during pregnancy?
What happens to the body?
When you quit smoking, healing can be seen in almost every organ and tissue. After all, harmful substances are gradually eliminated. But what exactly are the consequences and benefits of quitting smoking? The main changes that occur in a woman’s or man’s body after giving up a cigarette are:oxygen-saturated blood; The vasoconstriction
Such processes have positive consequences for the body:
- minimizes the risk of thrombosis;
- increases immunity;
- After a year, the risk of a heart attack or stroke begins to decrease.
Of course, positive changes don't happen in a few days, they have to pass. But the point is to quit smoking, at least to start that process. And you don’t have to wait long for positive changes. Although you need to tune in to overcome the difficulties, especially if smoking has been abused for a long time.
When nicotine and other harmful substances in tobacco smoke cease to enter the body, the results only appear within an hour. On the one hand, they are positive - the dose of nicotine in the blood is reduced by 50%. On the other hand, it is not very pleasant - there is a desire to smoke again. This section should be tolerated and then after ten hours the blood will be even more cleansed. After thirteen hours, the vessels react and the pressure returns to normal.
Now let’s figure out what happens to the body every day you quit smoking.
- At the end of the day, there will be virtually no carbon monoxide in the blood as nicotine is completely metabolized in the body. The psycho-emotional state will be moderately anxious.
- On the second day, a person often has gastrointestinal disorders, constipation; the taste buds become more sensitive. The mood will be unstable, insomnia will appear.
- After the third day, the brain and heart are better supplied with blood. Dopamine levels will gradually increase as they decrease by 15-20% during smoking
- After four days, the condition of the body stabilizes. But intestinal peristalsis reacts negatively to nicotine deficiency. Psychoemotically there is a real "withdrawal", the irritability increases. Appropriate medications are used to reduce it.
- By the end of the fifth day, the cough will become easier. Healing begins in the mucous membranes of the mouth, which is reflected in an improvement in the taste of food.
- After the sixth day, the functions of the digestive system return to normal. The nervous system is still excited, the thirst is constantly felt.
- Seven days - on this day the emptiness is strongly felt in him. At the physiological level, intestinal activity normalizes, although fecal disturbances can sometimes recur. Appetite increases significantly and heartburn may appear.
When I quit smoking, the consequences for my body by month are as follows.
- First. The mucous membranes of the bronchi are renewed, immunity increases. The skin completely loses the yellow color typical of smokers. Increased appetite, which contributes to weight gain. Cough and shortness of breath occur, especially in the morning. In addition, there are periodic pains in the head, dizziness, sudden changes in pressure. Attraction remains strong. This is expressed in a depressed mood. Friendly support is needed.
- The second is the fourth. The brain works better and appetite stabilizes.
- Fifth to eighth. The healing process continues in the respiratory system. The cough almost disappears.
- Ninth. This is a turning point when you want to return to a bad habit. Provocative situations should be avoided and there should be more communication with nature.
- Tenth to twelfth. Health is getting stronger, you can give your body serious physical activity. The emotional background is fairly stable. The risk of serious illness is reduced.
Is it safe to quit after 40 years?
There is one idea: if you quit smoking after 40 years, the consequences for the body will be unpredictable. But what happens to a man when he quits smoking after 40? Lack of smoking strongly influences the psychoemotional state: apathy occurs, efficiency decreases. If you quit smoking after a long period of addiction, the negative temporary consequences are more pronounced: coughing, shortness of breath, airway obstruction with bronchial mucosa, weakness and even fainting - all of which can cause significant discomfort.
To reduce unpleasant symptoms, you should consult a doctor for medication. Despite all the negative symptoms, the benefits of quitting smoking are much greater.
- When you quit smoking, your body can have a variety of consequences. They are expressed both positively (improving brain function, reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack) and negatively (lowering blood pressure, weakness, cough, shortness of breath, nervousness, stool disorders).
- The bottom line is that giving up this bad habit reduces the risk of acquiring or developing serious illnesses in the future.